At Oakham Veterinary Hospital we offer a specialised Equine Stud Medicine service. We are a BEVA approved practice for Artificial Insemination and a DEFRA approved centre for collection, storage and distribution of fresh, chilled and frozen semen.
During the 2016 season, 63 mares were inseminated using over 40 different stallions. For the first time we inseminated more mares with frozen semen than chilled and fresh semen combined. This year we used from semen from stallions such as Kannan, Big Star, Chaman and Diarado achieving overall conception rates above 70%. Our excellent working relationships with semen agents such as The Stallion Company and Elite Stallions mean that we have access to fresh, chilled and frozen semen from some of the very best competition stallions in the world.
Our foaling service remains popular with 14 colts and 10 fillies born on site between March and June. If you are thinking of sending your mare to us next year please book in early as spaces are limited.
AI with fresh, chilled or frozen semen
- Excellent conception rates
- Deep Uterine Insemination
- Dedicated mare stocks and examination area with diagnostic ultrasound
Semen collection from Resident and Visiting Stallions
- Dedicated laboratory for semen analysis
- Stallion accommodation and turnout facilities. Semen collection area with dummy mare and adjacent stable for teasing.
Stallion Fertility Assessment
- Semen analysis for Density and Motility
- Sperm Morphology
- Swabs for Contagious Equine Metritis (CEM)
- Blood Samples for Equine Viral Arteritis (EVA) and Equine Infectious Anaemia (Coggins)
- Ultrasound Examination of Reproductive System
- Endometrial Biopsies
Semen Freezing and storage facilities
- Packages can be tailored to suit owner's requirements
- Stallions can ‘bank' semen during a quiet period in competitive schedule
- Designated foaling boxes with CCTV cameras
- Neonatal care facilities
- Mare and Foal stabling and safe individual and group paddocks
- Vets on site should any problems arise during birth
Embryo Transfer and transported embryo service
- Donor mare can produce multiple foals per year
- Embryo Transfer can be used to overcome uterus based fertility problems
- Transported embryo success rates are comparable to those where the embryo is inseminated immediately post flush
- Donor mare can continue competing during process
For more information contact:
Matt Hecking, Stud Manager at Oakham Veterinary Hospital,
01572 722647 or 07976 822903
Ashwell Road, Oakham, Rutland, LE15 7QH