Most pets live around poisonous plants all their lives and instinctively know not to eat them.  However, inquisitive puppies might be at risk from common Spring bloomers such as Azaleas, Daffodils and Rhododendrons.  The clinical signs that your dog might have ingested something poisonous could be nausea, vomiting, depression, difficulty breathing and eventually, a coma.  Many plants can be fatal to your pets if eaten in large enough quantities so it is worth doing your research before you stock your garden.  

It's a well known fact that lilies are toxic to cats, simply brushing against the pollen and licking it off their coat can be lethal.  We would recommend that cat owners avoid having lily plants or cut flowers anywhere in their homes or gardens.  Initial symptoms indicating poisoning would be depression, lack of appetite and possibly vomiting.  The symptoms will progress quickly with your cat becoming dehydrated, suffering from diarrhoea, difficulty breathing and bad breath. 

 

As well as an abundance of flowers coming into bloom this is also the time of year when we all compete to have a lawn resembling the nearby bowls pitch and lawn treatments are scattered on at regular intervals.  Please read the instructions very carefully as many fertiliser treatments will need a period of time or a significant amount of rain before it is safe for your pet to venture outdoors again.  Rinse your cat's pads when they come home if they show any signs of residue that could be fertiliser.  If they groom this off themselves the toxins will find their way into the stomach and bloodstream.

If you suspect that your pet has been poisoned then phone your vet immediately for advice.  In the case of many common poisons we will be familiar with the treatment already.  For anything more unusual we have 24 hour access to the 'Veterinary Poisons Information Service' who act quickly to give advice and treatment options.